- Look at the front cover and predict what the story might be about.
- Discuss what it might mean about "A long time ago, Our ancestors shaped our stories ..."
- Read the blurb. Does this help us better understand what the book might be about?
- Do you think this will be another example of historical fiction? Why?
- People, other than Aboriginal peoples, have only lived in Australia for around 230 years. What do you know about the backgrounds of many of those living in Australia today? Maybe the children will have personal stories to share from their own families.
Read and discuss
As Kate Forsyth describes the different places her family have been, we witness the change she describes in the illustrations. Outfits and technology progress as you flick through the pages. Earlier stories provide a wonderful snapshot of the past. Look for these reminders of the past as we read the story together ...
Historical Fiction or not?
- The setting is a real location with a set time period?
- The characters are real people that could be real or made up?
- The plot is a mixture of made up events and events that really happened?