Introducing the story
Gen Becker created a Prezi about this story. Click on the Prezi button to view it. The Prezi provides a nice introduction to the story and also gives you some things to look out for as you are reading.
Reading the story
This is quite a long, sad story, linking an object from the present to its place of origin in the past. However it is also a story of hope, courage and determination. This story tells of World events that lead to the migration of families to other countries after they had lost their homes and towns during the war. These people are called displaced persons and after World War 1 and World War 2, Australia opened up its immigration policy to accept families in this situation.
Some things to discuss:
- Explain the use of colour by Astra Lacis throughout this text. Why has she chosen these colours and what effect does it have on you?
- After going through so much, how would this family be feeling about going to a new country to make a new home?
- Identify the times in the story when the family were able to smile/laugh despite being part of a terrible situation. What does this tell you about the characters?
- Is there anything about the characters in this story that you admire? Why?
- What messages/lessons can we gain from reading this story?
- What was the symbol of hope in this story, that continues to symbolise hope for the next generations?